Window shutters are one of the oldest means to protect the home from unsolicited guests. Initially, in ancient times, when the windows of huts and towers were covered with bull bubbles, they served as protection against the entry of birds or bears into houses. As the prosperity of the owners of the houses increased, the shutters began to protect the property from unsolicited guests - taty (thieves). Shutters appeared, bound in stripes and studded with iron nails.
The shutters have not lost this function in our time. If in provincial towns and villages you can still see wooden shutters decorated with carvings and paintings, in modern cities they have been replaced by more reliable and practical metal products that are resistant to the most sophisticated burglary tools - composite or aluminum rolled shutters - shutters (rolettes) .
Window shutters for a summer residence can simultaneously perform several functions, for example:
- Protection against unauthorized entry into the house. With the help of the shutter, you can, if not protect yourself from crackers by 100%, then at least seriously complicate their task. After all, this is a serious obstacle to their path, overcoming of which will require a lot of time, as well as noisy manipulations. Modern shutters are equipped with locks only from the inside, therefore, to open them, you need to tinker well.
- Extra protection in the cold season. Shutters serve as an additional obstacle for drafts and precipitation, especially if they do not have gaps and are hermetically attached to the window structure.
- They are decoration of windows, emphasize the belonging of the house to a certain style in the design. Shutters can be carved, decorated with forged elements, etc. If they are made by professionals, then they are a real work of art and a “highlight” of the house.
Types of Shutter
Depending on the purpose for which the shutters are necessary, they can have a different design, for example:
- Single-leaf shutters. They are usually installed on windows of a small size, on the side that is more convenient. They are closed, like any door, and locked from the inside, using a special lock.
- Two-leaf shutters. This option is more common, because is a classic. When they are open, the window decor looks symmetrical and more beautiful. Typically, such shutters have two locks, one of which connects them together, and the second - keeps it closed.
- Folding shutters. They consist of several elements and are more practical than some other options. They are folded accordion and allow, if necessary, to cover not all of the window completely, but 1/3 or 1/2. Folding shutters can be single-leaf and can be installed on one side of the window, or they can have two wings, each of which closes the window halfway and is attached to the right and left of the window.
- Shutters-blinds. Most often, these are protective shutters to the cottage, which at the same time look quite presentable. Such shutters close the window completely, but can be raised by equipping with a special mechanism. Those. like folding shutters, blinds can, if necessary, cover only part of the window. This design provides a high degree of protection against hacking.
What are the shutters made of?
Today it is possible to choose not only the most suitable shutter design, but also the material of their manufacture. Depending on it, the cost of the product, practicality, reliability and aesthetic qualities will increase or decrease. Most often, for the manufacture of shutters are used:
- Tree. Wooden shutters for summer cottages are a kind of classic, a variant most suitable for the Russian folk style. Because most often they have a decorative function and are decorated with carvings, firing and forged elements, then such products are quite expensive.
- Metal. The main function of the metal shutters for the garden is protective. But it is also possible to decorate windows with their help, for example, if you decorate them with forged elements and / or make curly cuts.
- Plastic. Plastic shutters look beautiful and have a more modern look, but in terms of protection are behind the previous options. If you decide to install shutters made of plastic, it is better to pay a little more expensive and strengthen the design, otherwise the savings can come sideways.
How to install the shutters in the country with your own hands?
If you want to save money and carry out the installation yourself, then the following instructions will help in this, especially since the task is not so difficult.
Before you purchase shutters, you need to take measurements so that they fit the size of your window openings. If your windows are of a non-standard size, you will have to order products for your parameters.
The set with shutters can include all the necessary fasteners, locking devices, as well as decorative decorations. But sometimes all this is not attached and then you have to purchase accessories yourself.
In this case, anchors are mounted on both sides of the window opening or at its ends, on which the shutters will be installed. To do this, you need to know the wall thickness, the permissible load on the fasteners and have a drill and drills in the arsenal.
The installation sequence looks like this:
- drill the required number of holes of the diameter that fits your fasteners,
- attach with anchors either the entire structure completely, or first the frame or frame,
- To deprive the attackers of the opportunity to unscrew the bolts, you should slightly grind their heads with a grinder. If in the future you want to disassemble the structure, you can easily pick it up and just cut off the caps of the bolts,
- now everything is ready for hanging the shutter. They are fixed to the frame, locks crash, decor elements are attached.
Removable interior shutters
In case you have a miniature short house, ordinary window shutters will look massive and bulky. In addition, if the window is located low, then by doing something under it, you can straighten up and hit your head against the corner of the sash. Also, ordinary shutters have one significant minus - when you are not at home, their position clearly demonstrates this to everyone, provoking attempts to penetrate the home.
Of course, you can install grilles on the windows, it will not be possible to understand from them when the owners are away, but not everyone likes to look at the world through metal bars, especially since a beautiful-looking forged grille is expensive.
In this case, removable internal window shutters may be the solution. In a small cottage, this option will not spoil the general appearance of the house and provide reliable protection.
Removable shutters are a frame from a metal corner in which a sheet of perforated steel of the required size is attached. At the internal corners of the frame, latching is attached by welding, with which the structure can be fixed to the window. The only “damage” that your home will have to undergo is 4 small holes with a blind end, which must be drilled in all window frames.
If desired, you can improve the shutters: fasten the sheet with a corner using screws or rivets, then the steel corner can be replaced with duralumin. It is also possible to replace steel sheet with perforation on a metal mesh. Only pick should be one that cannot be cut or eaten.
At that time, when the owners live in the house, the shutters are removed and stored in the pantry or shed, and when they need to go somewhere, the structure is easily fixed on the window.
The shutters installed behind the window pane are good because they are invisible even at close range, because glass usually shines. Therefore, a thief who came to reconnaissance will not be able to determine if anyone is at home because of the fence. But not everyone will decide to go into the courtyard and look through the windows, risking being caught by the neighbors.
Types of Shutters
In modern house-building, several shutters are used that are different in structure and material:
- solidconsisting of solid sheet metal or wooden boards,
- shutters - blinds - combining high barrier (anti-burglary) properties with ease of ventilation and dosed lighting of rooms,
- sliding - pantographic gratings, shifted to the edges of the window opening,
- rolled - a type of metal blinds (roller shutters),
- removable - shields completely removed from the window opening,
- domestic - mounted indoors.
Each of the listed types of window shutters (with the exception of rolled shutters) can be made of both metal and wood.
Differences - only in barrier properties and resistance to mechanical stress.
The equipment with shutters on the windows of the openings is traditionally practiced for the lower floors of houses that are most prone to the temptation of unauthorized access or indiscreet views from the street. The shutters on the upper floors are either decorative in nature or serve as blinds, preventing the room from excessive overheating in hot sunny weather.
The most brutal in nature are continuous shutters that tightly close the window opening. Their use is justified either by the low location of the windows - in this case they are closed at night for anti-vandal purposes, or by the prolonged absence of the owners in the room - usually in country houses or cottages.
A separate category is the metal shutters on the windows of industrial, commercial and banking institutions. They are subject to increased requirements for resistance to hacking, due to the high concentration of material assets indoors.
Shutters for windows made of separate strips of metal or wooden boards - shutters - blinds. It has a slightly different purpose and serves not only as a significant barrier against uninvited guests, but as a means of protection against excess solar energy, especially in the southern regions.
When the shutters are closed - the blinds do not stop the free circulation of air between the street and the room, and the slats directed at an angle - prevent direct sunlight from entering the room without completely blocking daylight.
Installation of shutters
The owner of the house can make the decision to install the shutters on the windows at any time, regardless of whether they have installed windows or the house is under construction or decoration. Most modern shutters are not designed with a window frame. Shutters are installed either on the exterior facade wall of the building or in a window opening.
However, the decision to install the shutters on the windows is better to take at the design stage to avoid the inconvenience associated with drilling holes for hinges and locking devices, which inevitably entail the need for additional cosmetic repairs as the facade of the building, and the interior of the room.
Shutters installed for protective purposes should have hidden hinges, inaccessible to mechanical impact from the street. And the shutters - blinds or decorative shutters in the country style, which are designed to decorate the facade of the house and give it a touch, can, on the contrary, have curly or decoratively forged iron loops, stylized as products of old masters, which themselves will be the decoration of the facade.
Making window shutters from wood is not particularly difficult. For this, it is not necessary to adhere to the technology of the 19th - early 20th centuries and rally to obtain a wooden board board. You can use ready-made shields of the required size, made of waterproof MDF or chipboard grades and cover them, to make them more natural, with wood imitators: laminate, PVC panels, waterproof paints, patchwork. Shutters are also easy to make - blinds assembled on a wooden frame.
The advantages of such shutters are the simplicity of their manufacture and low cost. They are lightweight and do not require massive hinges for canopy. With their main function - protection from prying eyes from the street and anti-vandal, they will perfectly cope. But their resistance to breaking will be incomparably lower than that of metal shutters.
Metal shutters require a bit more effort for DIY. This is due to their significant weight and the need for metal welding.
The basis for the shutters is a metal (steel) corner with shelves 40 x 40 or 50 x 50 mm. The frame of future shutters is welded from it. If the window opening is small, only a frame around the perimeter will be enough. If the window opening is large, stiffeners from the same corner are welded inside the outer frame. They can be located transversely or diagonally. On top of the frame from a metal corner, sheet metal 2-3 mm thick is welded (in rare cases - fixed on self-tapping screws). The hinges of the metal shutters must be completely covered with a cloth or be one-piece, resistant to lifting the sash or drilling the core.
The locking mechanism traditionally used on shutters - a metal strip with a pivot passing through the wall and a fixed bolt or latch, pivotally mounted in the wall on one side of the window opening and overlapping the shutter flaps in the closed position, does not provide sufficient reliability. Therefore, modern shutters are equipped with internal locks that are locked from the inside of the room and have several (at least two) fixation points. The best option is a “safe” type lock having heckles that extend onto 4 sides of the shutter leaf.
After the assembly is completed, but before the locking device is installed, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the rust, clean the burrs and droplets from welding with an electric grinder (grinder), degrease it (with gasoline or mineral spirits) and then coat it with a metal primer 2-3 times.
After that, the shutters are once again processed with fine sanding paper and painted with weather-resistant enamels (the process, with a loss of quality, can be simplified by using a “hammer” enamel, which can be used to color the metal by rust).
Given the solid weight of metal shutters and the need to work at height, the installation work should be entrusted to specialists who have at their disposal lifting mechanisms and equipment for working with metal.
It is quite problematic to make rolled or sliding window shutters on their own, since not every homemaker will have time to make them and equipment for working with metal. And to engage in work requiring metal cutting, welding, enamel painting for outdoor work is possible only in a separate room, but not in the apartment.
Instead of a conclusion
Shutters on the windows of dwellings are mainly used in private housing construction. To protect homes in urban conditions, in apartments located in multi-storey buildings, their most modern variety is used - roller blinds (rolettes). Their installation does not require coordination with the architectural supervision authorities. They are convenient to operate and the process of closing and opening them can be fully automated.
Traditional casement shutters are more an element of style or decoration of the facade than an urgent need. There are more reliable and convenient means of protecting the room or adjusting the luminous flux than bulky and inconvenient windows in case of daily use.
Practicality and beauty
Sashes perfectly protect the country house from cold weather, but only if the structure is installed in the window opening tightly. And there were no gaps between the shutters and the window opening.
Sashes on the windows of the cottage will realize the dream of a rustic style. Unusual decorative shutters do:
- carved wood
- according to individual sketches,
- with metal ornament
- with forged fragments.
In the photo above you can clearly see how the window shutters transform the appearance of the structure. It is not surprising that such an accessory for a country cottage is in demand.
What material to choose from?
There are several options for shutters for country windows. The most popular models are made from:
There are pros and cons to any of the materials presented. Combinations of several materials look advantageous. The practicality, design and price of products depends on the material.
On a note! Stylized wooden shutters are the most luxurious and expensive option.
Wooden shutters for a summer residence is a classic (standard) solution. The option looks stylish and attractive, practical, thorough, presentable, pleasing to the eye. To decorate a country house with such an accessory means to give it individuality, originality, and stylistic inexpressibility.
Features of plastic and metal models
This solution for giving the most functional and diverse. Wood models can be burnt, carved, contain forged fragments. Wooden shutters for a country house - the perfect complement to the classic style. Metal window shutters are both decoration and effective protection.
Пластиковые створки для окон на даче — отличное решение для декорации фасада. Это современное бюджетное изделие.
On a note! This material will have to be further strengthened to make it a barrier against crackers.
How to choose shutter mounts
When choosing fasteners and other accessories for a design, it is important to consider some features.
Do not forget the little things:
The use of hardware depends on the method of locking the shutters. Place a standard latch, deadbolt or hook on the inside. Carefully approach the choice of loops. Large staples are more durable, practical, reliable. Small hardware is unreliable. Mortise hinges differ from overhead loops in that they are more difficult to remove.
Traditional wooden shutters
Traditional wooden shutters for summer cottages are one of the most common solutions. The tree has a lot of advantages. The simple design shown in the photo above is usually assembled from lining, a special profile, sheet piling. The model is universal. The most presentable, solid, solid solutions are created from the following species of wood:
Wooden sashes from other types of wood do not always serve well, because they either swell very much from moisture, or shrink very much under the influence of the sun.
How to install shutters: general recommendations
You can install shutters of any material on the window openings of the country house with your own hands. The main thing is to take into account some features of the process. It is recommended to fix single-door models on small windows of a country house. Large openings should be supplemented with folding or double-wing versions.
To make the system convenient to use, equip the structure with automatic automation. This will allow you to open the device via remote control.
On a note! Use sturdy awnings to mount the structure to avoid sagging shutters.
Reliable canopies will fix sashes well. When installing in the window opening of a country house, do not allow distortions. Mount the flaps with a partner.
Step-by-step installation instructions for the shutter
Step 1 - Installing the shutters for the cottage with your own hands is quite simple if you first select the appropriate option, based on the video posted below. To get started, measure the windows. If the openings are of non-standard sizes, then approach the design order individually. If necessary, buy accessories.
Step 2 - Next, you need to drive the anchors into the window shutters, on which the wings will then be fixed.
At this point, consider:
- permissible load level
- features of fasteners,
- wall thickness.
Step 3 - To properly secure the element, you need to drill the required number of holes. Consider the diameter of the holes (they are made for specific fasteners).
Step 4 - Now lock the shutters with anchors. You can first attach a frame or frame. To prevent attackers from unscrewing the main bolts, lightly sand the fasteners. To do this, it is enough to treat the bolt heads with a grinder.
Note! If over time you need to remove the shutters, it is enough to slightly tuck and cut off the caps of the bolts.
Step 5 - The next step is the final one. When the preparation for hanging is completed, you can fix the wings on the frame.
Then the bolts are installed and the locks are inserted. At the end of all work, decorative elements are fixed.
Purpose of roller shutters and advantages of their application
Roller shutters are an advanced prototype of conventional shutters. The rolling system is a metal web that slides along the side guides when opening / closing. When fully opened, the blinds are folded into a box installed above the window opening.
Modern roller shutters simultaneously perform several functions:
- Protection against vandalism. Thanks to the improvement of models, such structures can be monolithic and reliably protect the property. To break the shutters, you will need to use metal cutting tools, the use of which will create noise. To increase the security of your home, you can set an alarm on roleta.
- Improving sound insulation of housing. This property is especially true for houses located near the roadway. Shutters when shut down reduce noise by 12-15 dB.
- Regulation of the illumination of the room. The shutters can be partially opened by adjusting the optimum amount of light. In addition, there are models in which the illumination is regulated by the direction of the lamellas on the canvas.
- Additional thermal insulation. The use of rolling systems with lamellas filled with insulation can reduce heat loss in the cold season by 20%.
- The decoration of the facade. Canvas blinds are available in a wide range of colors. To order you can make lamellas with the image of flowers, trees and other patterns that complement the exterior of the house.
Types of roller shutters
The main criterion for the selection of roll-up systems is the material of construction. It is this parameter that determines the strength and reliability of the roller shutter. According to the degree of protection, facade blinds are divided into eight burglary resistance classes:
- P1-P2 - plumbing (classic) roller shutters primarily serve as protection against wind, dust and noise. Such models do not protect against hacking and penetration. Usually these are roll-based rolling systems.
- P3-P5 - steel or extruded profiles provide adequate protection against vandalism. Window grilles and gates are often made from the same material.
- P6-P8 - a high degree of protection. Usually these are bulletproof and armored rolling systems.
By the method of controlling the roller shutters, there are manual and automatic.
Hand roleta open / close directly with your hands or with a mechanical handle. Such systems are equipped with an external lock to lock the roller shutters. Position automatic shutters adjustable by pressing a button on the remote control or on the control unit.
Roller shutter sheets are most often made of aluminum or steel lamellas. Each of the materials has its advantages and disadvantages.
Steel roller shutters differ in high rates of noise absorption and thermal insulation. The inner void of steel lamellas is filled with polyurethane foam.
The disadvantages of steel shutters include:
- heavy construction weight - creates additional load on the control system (only automation is used),
- susceptibility of steel lamellas to corrosion (when using anticorrosive impregnations, this drawback was almost completely eliminated).
Aluminum constructions They have excellent decorative qualities and are easy to manage. In addition, such roller shutters are able to protect the room from noise, dust, sun and breaking. An additional advantage of aluminum anti-burglar shutters is their low specific weight.
Roller shutters: photo examples of execution
Components for roller shutters
Before installing the protective sheet on the windows, you need to understand what elements the roller shutters consist of. The design of the system is quite simple:
- Cloth - the main part of roller blinds, consisting of interconnected lamellas of the same width and length.
- Profile guides - ensure uniform movement of the web slats.
- Control mechanism - located in the box and may consist of various elements (control panel, handles, etc.).
- Lock system - locks.
A simple scheme of roller shutters allows you to perform installation of the structure yourself.
Installation methods for roller shutters
Roller shutters are installed in a variety of ways.
Outdoor mounting (consignment note) - the most common and simple method of fixing roller shutters. It does not require making a niche for a box. The box with the canvas is installed above the opening, the guide rails on the side of it.
Features of surface mounting:
- used to equip already built buildings with installed windows,
- the method is suitable for installing different types of drives,
- shutters do not block the light opening,
- the box stands for the plane of the facade.
The overhead rolling system costs more than the built-in. The difference in price is 2000-3000 rubles
Integrated mounting - guides and a box are mounted directly in a window opening (on internal slopes).
This method has its own characteristics:
- suitable for large windows, since with such an installation scheme, the back wall of the box and the guides partially overlap the light opening,
- in an integrated installation, an electric drive is usually used, since the output of the shaft falls on the glass,
- built-in installation - the most resistant to hacking.
Combined installation It requires the arrangement of a special recess at the top of the window opening, which must be provided even at the stage of construction of the building or during reconstruction of the house. In case of combined mounting, variation in fixing the duct and guides is allowed.
The choice of fasteners
Before proceeding with the installation of roller shutters, it is necessary to choose the right mounts:
- if the window opening consists of natural stone, monolithic brick or concrete, then the optimal fasteners are plastic dowels with a nail screw or a screw that can be screwed, as an option, you can use expansion steel anchors, the fixing depth is at least 3 cm,
- when installing roller shutters on a window opening made of a material with internal voids, it is better to use steel expansion anchors, the anchoring depth is at least 6.5 cm,
- fasteners for metal structures - self-tapping screws,
- installation in a wooden opening - through tie-rods or screws,
- controls for the rolling system are fastened with nail screws or plastic dowels with screws.
Before installing the roller shutters, the following preparations are performed:
- Check the evenness of the window opening. To do this, use a tape measure to measure the diagonals of the window and compare them with each other. The difference between the sizes of the diagonals should not be more than 5 mm. If these irregularities are neglected, then subsequently this will lead to non-tightness and insufficient safety of the roller shutters. The sizes of the diagonals must be leveled.
- Check the level of the upper / lower slopes with a building level. Using plumb lines, check the verticality of the sides of the window opening. Permissible deviation of 1.5 mm per linear meter.
- Remove bumps, chips and cracks on the slopes. Finishing can be done with plaster or install special overlays. The use of additional devices will affect the appearance of the facade of the building and will increase the cost of installation work.
Tools and materials
To perform an independent installation of roller shutters, you will need the following devices:
- hammer drill
- a set of drills for metal and concrete,
- riveting gun
- metal scissors, pliers or wire cutters,
- set of wrenches,
- roulette and building level,
- to perform work at a height of more than 1.5 meters - stairs:
- indicator screwdriver, multimeter - for connecting the drive,
- mounting gun and sealant - for sealing joints of walls and guides.
Before installation, check the kit for all elements and for defects.
Assembly and installation of the box
Let’s take a step-by-step look at how to install the roller shutters in an overhead way.
- Side rail preparation:
- put guides in pairs on a flat surface and mark the holes with a marker, the distance between the holes is 40-50 cm, the first mark is 10 cm from the edge of the guide rail,
- drill a through hole with a diameter of 8 mm,
- On the upper side of the guide, make the hole diameter 11.8 mm (necessary for the subsequent installation of the decorative plug).
- Preparation of the box for installation:
- attach the lid to the box,
- drill 2 holes on each side (diameter 4.2 mm), holes will be needed to install rivets when the installation of the roller shutter is completed,
- determine the location of the holes for fixing the box (for external installation - on the back side of the box, for built-in - on top),
- mark and drill holes with a diameter of 8 mm,
- drill one hole for the placement of the drive,
- connect the guide rails to the box.
- Marking for fasteners:
- attach the frame from the roller shutters to the opening (all elements of the system must be on the wall),
- check the horizontalness of the box and the verticality of the guides, compare the length of the diagonals (tolerance - 2 mm),
- On the wall, transfer the marking of the holes from the guides / boxes that were drilled earlier.
- Drilling holes for fasteners:
- remove the frame from the wall,
- drill holes for marking,
- install in the wall of the dowel,
- drill a hole for the drive (diameter 12-20 mm, depending on the model of the roller shutter),
- put a protective spring in the hole,
- if necessary, make holes in the bottom of the rail for mounting the locking elements.
- Mounting the frame of the rolling system:
- remove the protective film from the back of the frame,
- bring the assembled frame to the installation site,
- match hole markings,
- fix the frame with a screwdriver and self-tapping screws.
- Installation of control system:
- mark the markings on the wall inside
- drill holes
- fasten the belt and guides.
- Install spacer rings on the upper shaft (the distance between the rings is 40-50 cm).
- Install crossbars on both sides of the final web profile.
- Wrap the canvas on the upper side of the shaft and drive it into the guide rails.
- Install the traction springs from the upper edge of the web and fix them in the perforated shaft openings.
After mounting the roll sheet, it is necessary to close the assembled box, peel off the film on the front side of the roller shutter, install the plugs and treat them with silicone sealant.
Connection of the drive system
The final stage of the installation of the rolling system is the connection of automatic control of the canvas. When performing this work, a number of rules must be observed:
- all parts of the electrical connection must be placed in junction boxes,
- when calculating the minimum cross-section of the wire, it is necessary to take into account the power of all drives,
- a wire with a cross section of 0.75 mm2 or more is suitable for connecting automation
- Do not use wires with a polyethylene sheath,
- A separate cable must be used for each motor group.
Roller shutter installation sequence: video
General requirements for installing roller shutters
The appearance and functionality of the design as a whole is largely determined by the quality of installation work. During installation, you must verify that the following requirements are met:
- the box is mounted horizontally,
- the box in relation to the guides is strictly at an angle of 90 °,
- bending of guide rails or ducts along the topography of the wall is unacceptable,
- the end profile is best placed on the most even and horizontal surface.
To maintain the roller shutter in good condition, the guide rails and the canvas must be periodically cleaned of dust, dirt, snow, ice and foreign objects (branches, leaves, small stones, etc.).
Important! When icing the shutters, before starting them up, it is necessary to carefully clean the canvas from ice - just tap with your hand on the inside and outside of the lamellas
You can remove dust and dirt from the canvas with a soft cloth dipped in soapy water. Every year it is recommended to conduct a technical inspection of the structure with the participation of specialists from the supplier company.