There probably isn't a person who doesn't like chips. This delicious, crunchy and fragrant dish has become the adored delicacy of millions of people around the world. And despite the fact that such a “culinary masterpiece” is considered quite harmful, especially for children. After all, a lot of “chemical ingredients” are added to the delicacy that you can buy at each grocery store, allowing you to keep it as long as possible. But what to do if you are not able to deny yourself this pleasure? In this case, homemade chips can be a great alternative, which can be prepared in many ways.
Such a dish will serve as an excellent snack, an excellent side dish and a great addition to many other dishes, and there will be no more harm from them than from any other dish made from potatoes. Today we offer you to learn how to cook chips at home, chips are not only tasty, but also healthy.
Why are chips considered a bad product?
In the chips that are bought in the store, there is practically no benefit, but there is enough harm. The fact is that potatoes contain a large amount of starch. It turns into glucose, which determines the satiety of the body. And glucose can turn into acrylamide - a component dangerous to the body.
If you use it regularly, then cancer can begin to develop. The most vulnerable to this disease are women 30–45 years old, because it is they who have tumors in the uterus and ovaries.
Other reasons why potato chips are considered harmful are such.
- For cooking, use the same oil when it needs to be changed after each batch of potatoes. Because of what, the amount of cholesterol in the blood rises.
- Chemicals are added to the product. Most often these are flavors, colorants, flavor enhancers. According to the regulations, a certain proportion of these components is indeed permitted, but often manufacturers exceed this norm. This affects the general well-being of a person, is fraught with metabolic disorders, the occurrence of allergic reactions, the destruction of tooth enamel.
- It contains a lot of salt. It interferes with the normal growth of hair, nails and bones, destroys vitamin C. Excessive consumption of such chips can lead to heart problems.
- Chips are an incredibly high-calorie product, so it is not surprising that they contribute to obesity. 100 g of chips contain 510 kilocalories, and this is a quarter of the daily rate!
But potato chips are not only harmful to human health. They also have some useful properties, including satisfying hunger, raising mood (especially when this product really wants to eat, emotional, psychological hunger sets in).
How to make chips at home
To prepare healthy and tasty potato chips at home, you need to choose the right raw materials. For this product you need potatoes with a high dry mass content (from 20%). If it is too watery, then crispy chips will not work. Such varieties of potatoes are perfect:
These varieties were bred specifically for the preparation of chips. They are dense, not watery, the starch content is minimal.
How to make chips at home: crispy apples, beets, eggplant and carrots
Crispy chips are addictive, that is, addictive. But who said that these must be super-high-calorie potato chips from a pack? Crispy chips can be made at home from healthy fruits and vegetables.
Dried Pineapple with Pina Colada Guacamole
- 5 avocados,
- 3 teaspoons of coconut milk,
- 2 tablespoons pineapple or orange juice,
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Peel the avocado, mix with coconut milk, juice and salt in a blender. Serve pineapple chips with an exotic sauce.
Step by step recipe with photo
How to make chips, I think, everyone knows (and not even one way). But do you know how to make crispy chips? That is, the MOST CRISPY? There is a certain culinary technique for this, for which you have everything, you just need to know what it serves and how it is used.
The most crispy potato chips (and fries too) are obtained by double frying with intermediate cooling of potatoes. What do we achieve in this way? During cooling, potatoes are better saturated with oil. It is impossible to soak and fry it in one go: there is not enough time, the chips will start to burn.
Well, now, in general, now you already know how to cook crispy chips, like in a store, at home. I just need to show you how to cut, and also to what color and condition at what stage should the potatoes be brought.
Peel and cut the potatoes with 1-2 mm thick plates. By the way, I usually peel and chop potatoes just one at a time: while the first is deep-fried, I have time to prepare the next, etc.
We heat the oil. Chips are more convenient to fry in a pan than in a pan - surface area is important for them, not depth.
We fry the potato chips before it becomes clear that they have already begun to fry (covered with a thin crust), but have hardly changed their color yet. We take out the chips and put on a plate, without a napkin. As I cut one potato, I spread the portions on different plates.
After you fried all the potatoes in the first round, we begin to fry them in the second. Ideally, the potatoes should be allowed to cool altogether for half an hour or an hour. A modest minimum - its temperature should be such that you can easily take chips by the fingers with your fingers and lower them into the oil (do not try to dump the entire portion at the same time - do not tear some later!).
In the second call, the potatoes are fryed to the point that when you stir it, it will produce a characteristic rustle (I apologize, like expanded clay, I can’t compare this sound with anything else). After that, it can be dried from fat.
Extremely crispy chips (both in the store) are good both cold and warm. After readiness, they can be added, you can and somehow season. If stored, it is better without salt - the salt draws atmospheric humidity from the air, with it the crisps will get wet in the long run.
As you can see, they are beautiful, golden in color, and many are covered with large bubbles (some chips are, in fact, one big bubble). For this feature, they are called "pillows" in French.
Here, I’ve focused on one of these “pillows” in the foreground. Good visibility? From the top left to the back, I see that there is one with an edge visible.
To cook appetizing slices at home, use a frying pan or a deep stewpan. And to fry potato circles, you can take a deep fryer.
Ingredients for chips in a pan:
- Large potatoes, identical in shape and thickness,
- Refined vegetable oil (you can use margarine or animal fat instead)
- Pepper and sea salt (coarse), optionally - spices, aromatic herbs and seasonings as you wish.
- We thoroughly wash the potatoes. If they have a thin skin without damage, you can not clean it,
- Cut the tubers very thinly with circles with a sharpened knife or shredder,
- Dip the chopped vegetable into cold water. At the same time, excess starch is washed off, and the finished chips are crispy,
- In a deep stew-pan, pour the butter and warm it well,
- Dip the potato circles in small portions into boiling oil, make sure that they do not stick together,
- Almost a few seconds will be spent on frying thin slices. Gently get them with a slotted spoon and lay the next batch,
- Put a paper towel on a plate so that it absorbs excess fat,
- Sprinkle the hot dish with sea salt, add paprika, pepper, dried dill and various seasonings if desired.
Potatoes should not be salted during frying and before cooking, because it will lose moisture and will not fry until crunched.
Spicy and spicy sauces will go well with this dish. If the salt is stronger, then you will get a great beer snack.
- Potato - 600 g.
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp. spoons.
- Dill - 1 bunch.
- Garlic - 2 cloves.
- Salt and pepper.
- Wash the potatoes in warm water and peel. In the case of new potatoes, leave the peel. As a result, home-made chips will receive a beautiful frame. Put the potatoes on a paper towel to dry.
- Peel the garlic. Finely chop both slices. I do not recommend using a press, otherwise, instead of tiny pieces, you get garlic mashed potatoes.
- Rinse the greens, shake off the water and cut off the bottom of the twigs. Dividing the dill into two parts, put one aside, and chop the second.
- Place a shallow and wide container on the stove and pour in oil. To get fragrant chips, I recommend using unrefined olive or sunflower oil. Add chopped greens and garlic to the oil.
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices. A food processor or a special vegetable cutter will facilitate the task. I get around the kitchen knife.
- Put the prepared potatoes in a container with spiced oil, cover and shake. As a result, each potato circle is saturated with oil. Remove the lid, and leave the potatoes for half an hour.
- Place paper on the bottom of the pan or baking sheet. It is important that the edges of the paper do not protrude, otherwise they will burn. Put potatoes on top in one layer.
- Send the form with potatoes to the oven preheated to two hundred degrees for about twenty minutes. If you want a crispy treat, increase the cooking time by one and a half times.
- It remains to get an appetizer from the oven, wait until it cools down, transfer to a beautiful dish and sprinkle with dill. I recommend serving with sour cream.
Microwave Potato Chips
This is a full-fledged appetizer, perfect for friendly gatherings. You can surprise your friends and please the kids with crispy snacks of their own making, which are done in literally 5 minutes.
- Medium size potatoes - 2 pieces,
- Ground black pepper and fine salt - a pinch,
- Ground paprika - half a teaspoon,
- Vegetable oil - one large spoon (and 3-4 teaspoons to grease a plate)
- Hot ground red pepper (optional) - on the tip of the knife.
- Choose medium-sized potatoes, wash, peel and cut into thin circles. This can be done using a special nozzle for a grater or an ordinary knife. The thickness of the plates of potatoes should be the same and not exceed 2 mm,
- Put the workpiece in a deep bowl, sprinkle with paprika, salt, black pepper and hot red. Add other spices if desired. Pour the potato circles with oil and mix thoroughly with your hands,
- Take a flat dish, spread evenly with vegetable oil and distribute the pieces freely, in one layer,
- We put the products in the microwave, set the maximum power and we will prepare our future snacks for 3-5 minutes. Check periodically their condition. The willingness to eat can be determined by the rosy hue and solid structure,
- We put the finished chips in a dry and clean container, in the same way we prepare the next portion. If you want to make chips with the taste of cheese, finely rub the cheese and cover the prepared potato slices with a thin layer. Send snacks to the microwave for another one to two minutes.
It will take a little time to prepare the chips, and the result will be just amazing.
The meat chips recipe includes the use of beef, but you can take moose meat or lamb. The food is an excellent beer snack and an unusual treat for meat-eaters.
- Dry red wine - 500ml,
- Beef meat - kilogram,
- Sugar is a big spoon
- Soy sauce and balsamic vinegar - three large spoons,
- Salt - two tablespoons,
- Spices taste good.
And now a step by step recipe:
- Thoroughly wash and dry the beef flesh with a paper towel,
- We cut the meat with a sharp knife into pieces of oblong shape no more than a centimeter thick and about five centimeters long. Pour red wine into a deep container, put the meat and add the spices you like, as well as vinegar, salt and sugar. Set the press on top and leave everything to marinate for 10-12 hours,
- When the right time has passed, we remove the meat from the marinade and dry them. To do this, you can use a colander, or place them on a grate from the oven, or on a stand for a vegetable dryer,
- Now we need to dry the meat. This is most conveniently done in a vegetable dryer. We spread the slices apart from each other on the pallets of the vegetable dryer, set its apparatus to work for one hour (temperature - 55 degrees),
- After an hour, set the temperature to 40 degrees and continue drying for about 10-12 hours, not forgetting to periodically turn the pieces over.
The finished product can be eaten immediately, but many housewives store it in glass jars with very tight lids.
This is a great alternative to store analogues, because the finished products are tasty, healthy, without any impurities and harmful additives.
- Thin pita bread - two pieces,
- Garlic - two cloves,
- Black pepper,
- Olive oil - 4 large spoons,
- Fresh dill - a bunch.
- Finely chop the fragrant dill, squeeze the garlic, salt, pepper, add the olive oil and stir well,
- Lubricate the prepared mass of pita bread. You can use mayonnaise with garlic, then the chips turn out to be more nutritious and calorie,
- We cut the workpiece into small slices, put it on a baking sheet and put in the oven warmed up to a temperature of 180 degrees for 5-7 minutes, be sure to follow the process, since the product will be ready very quickly. The pan is not oiled.
After that, you can enjoy the amazing taste and aroma of your favorite crispy slices.
An easy way to cook chips in the microwave
It is very simple to prepare such a meal and you can use this recipe without adding oil, so this kind of home-made chips is much more useful than others, and it will not be worse in taste. Cooking consists of the following steps:
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into thin slices, then dry them by placing them on a paper towel. If desired, the slices can be greased with vegetable oil.
- Place dried potato slices on baking paper so that they do not touch each other.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, choosing a power of 600-750 watts.
- After the potato becomes rosy, take it out and put on a plate.
- Still not cooled chips should be sprinkled with salt and spices.
- potatoes - 0.3 kg
- olive oil - 50 ml,
- spices at your discretion,
- greens (dill, parsley, basil).
Prepare the potatoes. Cut into thin slices, put on a cloth to dry a little (15-25 minutes). Heat oil in a pan, put slices. Ideally, they should not touch each other. Fry the potatoes on each side for several minutes. After cooking, lay the slices on paper. This will help get rid of excess fat. Sprinkle with spices and herbs.
Natural Potato Chips with Cheese Sauce
- 5 potatoes
- 50 g of dried dill,
- 80 ml of lemon juice
- 2 onions,
- sea salt.
For the sauce:
- 50 g non-dairy cheese
- 50 g sour cream of 20% fat,
- 1 bunch of green dill.
Peel, wash, chop, onion, squeeze the juice. Wash the potatoes, peel them, cut into very thin circles. Put in a bowl, add lemon and onion juice, salt and mix. Then drain the liquid, slightly dry the potato slices, sprinkle them with dried dill, mix. Put potato mugs on a tray. Dry in the oven. When the potatoes are completely dry - then ready. To prepare the sauce, knead the cheese with a fork, mix with sour cream and washed and chopped herbs. Place the chips on a dish and serve with sauce.
Natural raw potato chips without oil or chemical additives are a great alternative to unhealthy fried chips. The main thing is to choose delicious potatoes for them. Pink varieties are best suited. Good raw potatoes should be sweet and palatable. Caustic or bitter potatoes should not be eaten raw. Also, never eat green or sprouted tubers — they contain solanine poison.
You can cook such a crunch in 10 minutes, or even less.
You will need:
- 3 root crops
- a little olive oil,
- 2 tsp salt
- French or Italian herbs.
Carefully wash / peel the carrots and wipe dry. Cut the carrots into thin slices and send into a bowl. Salting it, flavoring it with herbs and sprinkling with oil. Mix everything well.
We cover the plate for mikra with parchment and put the carrot slices on it. Try to keep the circles at a certain distance from each other.
Send the plate to the microwave. With a power of 900 watts, we cook for 2 minutes. Потом переворачиваем кружочки и снова отправляем их на 2 минуты в свч.Next, we transfer the ready-made chips to a flat plate and grunt with pleasure.
- 6 bananas
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil
- 4 avocados (pulp),
- 2 cloves of garlic,
- 2 tbsp. l lime juice
- 80 ml mayonnaise,
- 100 g green onions,
- 2 pinches of ground chili
- spicy pepper sauce
- pepper, salt to taste.
Cut the banana into slices, fry in oil in a saucepan until a crisp forms. Remove excess oil, salt and pepper. Mix the pulp of avocado, chopped onions and garlic, lime juice and mayonnaise, add spices. Serve with sauce.
- 5 pieces. medium-sized beets,
- 350 ml of water
- 200 g brown sugar
Peel the beets, cut into very thin slices. Sugar pour water, put on fire and cook until thickened. Slices beets in a bowl and pour hot sweet syrup. Mix lightly and leave for 3 hours. Cover the baking sheet with paper, spread the beets in parts and dry in the oven for 2 hours at a temperature of 100 ° C. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Sweet Potato Chips
- 1.36 kg of sweet potatoes
- 960 ml of vegetable oil or how much is required for frying in a deep fryer
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut it into circles with a diameter of 1.5 mm on a mandolin or on an electric vegetable slicer.
- Heat the oil to a temperature of about i6o ° C and fry the potatoes in deep-fried lots until they are brown (1–2 min). Remove from oil, pat dry with absorbent paper, salt. Serve immediately or leave uncovered in a warm place.
- 120 g grated Parmesan
- Preheat a non-stick pan and place small piles of grated Parmesan on it.
- Remove the resulting crispy chips (or waffles) from the pan immediately using cooking tongs or a wooden spatula and arrange them to dry.
- 2 pcs. large potatoes
- 2 pcs. sweet potato
- 2 pcs. large beets
- 1 PC. parsnip
- 1 small celery root
- 8−10 Art. l olive oil
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp ground sweet paprika
- Wash and peel vegetables thoroughly. Cut beets, parsnips and celery in half, and then thin slices.
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices 2 mm thick. To do this, it is convenient to use a special grater, a nozzle on a food processor or a very sharp knife.
- Put the vegetables in a bowl, pour olive oil, sprinkle with paprika, salt, pepper and mix. Oil should not be too much.
- Put in one layer, lightly pat the future chips with a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and bake on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, 20-30 minutes at a temperature of 180 ° C until golden brown. Make sure the chips do not burn out. Let cool on a baking sheet.
Turnip chips are a bit sweeter than potato chips. Good on their own and with the sauce.
- 500 ml of sunflower oil
- 4 small turnips, cut into very thin slices
- a pinch of paprika
- Heat oil in a large saucepan to 180 ° C. Fry the turnip slices in 4 sets (1-2 minutes per serving) until golden brown. Be careful, oil may splatter.
- Transfer the prepared chips with a slotted spoon to a dish covered with parchment, salt, sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Further, after reading the following recipe, you will learn how to cook chips in the microwave from apples. This version of the snack is similar to the previous one only with a characteristic crunch. Otherwise, the taste of the snack is completely different - moderately sweet, with a pleasant fruity taste and a delicate aroma with notes of cinnamon. The delicacy is unique in every respect and low-calorie, which will especially appeal to those who follow the weight.
- sweet apples - 0.4 kg
- sugar and cinnamon to taste.
Wash apples, cut into slices and remove seeds from them. Lay out slices on a plate of the device and turn it on for seven to ten minutes at medium power. Chips from apples in the microwave will be ready and get the desired crunch after cooling completely on a parchment sheet.
Features of the preparation of chips
The best thing you can do to not harm your body is to learn how to make chips at home. It seems to be much simpler, but you will never get such chips as you expect, if you do not know a few important secrets.
Preparing such a treat yourself is not difficult. Home-made chips, unlike store chips, containing preservatives, flavors and other harmless additives, are completely harmless to the body. They contain only natural products: potatoes, vegetable oil and salt. Cooking does not require special appliances, just an oven or microwave, and for lack of such an ordinary frying pan will do. Observe simple requirements, and the crunch of potato slices will delight everyone without exception.
- Important not only taste, but also aesthetic. Therefore, “defective” (eyes, bumps) the source material set aside, and leave smooth potatoes for processing.
- Rinsing sliced slices with cold water can reduce the starch content, after which the chips will not stick together during the frying process.
- Put the cooked potatoes on a plate, having previously spread the baking paper, or sprinkle the meal with flour.
- The taste of home-made chips can be given a little piquancy by adding paprika, spices or other spices as you wish.
As you can see, it is very easy and simple to prepare golden and crispy chips at home. It is better to store them in a paper bag, in a dry place, can be served as a side dish or a snack for beer. Enjoy your meal!