About how to clear memory in the HTC smartphone we wrote in one of the previous articles. But in addition to clearing the cache and encryption, the phone’s memory can also be freed by deleting temporary files and old applications that inevitably appear during the operation of the smartphone.
Of course, when the memory is full and the phone malfunctions, you can do even more dramatically by rebooting and resetting the settings, but why lose important entries, contacts and other information, as well as reset the phone to factory settings?
How to delete temporary files
- Go to the menu "Settings" ->"Memory".
- In the tab "Internal storage" choose “Free up more space”, and then check the box next to "Only rarely used" to delete temporary application files that have not been used in the last 7 days, or "All applications" to delete temporary files of all applications used in the smartphone.
- Then we either transfer unused applications to the memory card or delete them.
* Deleting temporary files of some applications and programs (mainly pre-installed) may not be available from the above menu. Their data can be deleted from the menu. "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "All applications" (paragraph "Clear data" by clicking on the application itself).
Removing temporary files from a memory card
- Go to the menu "Settings" ->"Memory".
- In the tab "Memory card" select “Free up more space”.
- Click on item "Temporary application files" and confirm the action by clicking on "OK".
* If there are no temporary files on the memory card, then "Temporary application files" will be inactive.
To provide scope for applications and games, you need to unload RAM (RAM). Then the new programs you run will receive more RAM at their disposal and will work faster. On modern versions of Android, there are several ways to unload the "RAM":
- Closing applications one at a time. To do this, you need:
- Open Settings, go to the "General" section and to the "Applications" subsection
- Find the program or game you want to close
- Click on the title
- Click the Stop button
- When the system asks you to “Force stop?”, Answer “Yes”.
- Closing all applications at once. For this:
- Launch the system task manager. Sometimes for this a separate button is used in the form of a square or rectangle. Sometimes (especially in version 4.4 or earlier) - a long press on the Home button.
- Click the Close All icon at the bottom of the screen. In different shells or OS versions, the inscription may be different, but its meaning will be the same.
In the second way, you can close individual programs or games. But this way you get access only to those applications that you recently opened, and background processes will continue to work after "closing everything."
Regular cleaning of the drive
During the work on the smartphone a lot of frankly unnecessary files accumulate, for example:
- Application cache This is the data that they store in local memory so as not to download it constantly from the Internet. Such data can occupy impressive volumes, especially for browsers and instant messengers.
- Files remaining after uninstalling programs. Sometimes they can also take up a lot of space.
- Downloaded installation files. After installing applications or games, they are no longer needed on the smartphone, but remain in the “Downloads” folder
There are several ways to clean your phone from junk. Let's consider them separately.
Clearing program cache
To clear the cache, you will need to go back to Settings, in the "General" section and the "Applications" subsection. From here, you have access to the memory usage data for each individual application. In some shells, you can sort programs by the place occupied on the disk. But in any case, you see this volume directly from the list.
To clear the cache:
- Tap on the name of a program or game
- Tap on the line "SD card and phone memory"
- At the bottom of the window that opens, click on "Clear Cache"
After that, the cache volume indicator will reset to zero (in some cases, to symbolic 12 kilobytes).
Cleaning your browsing history
Often used by default, the browser slows down the system, because it has to keep in memory the entire history of visits. But it can also be cleaned. This is done differently in different browsers, but the logic is about the same.
For example, consider the Google Chrome browser:
- Launch chrome
- Open the menu by clicking on the three dots in the upper right corner
- Tap on the item "History"
- In the opened page, click on “Clear History”
- If your task is to clean the system, in the "Time Range" line, select "All Time"
- Check the boxes next to the first paragraph “Viewing History” and the third “Images and other files ...” The data from the second paragraph - “Cookies ...” - can be useful for you to speed up authorization on frequently visited resources. If this is not critical for you, you can delete them.
Please note: if you clear your browsing history, it will be cleared for all devices on which you use Chrome under your account.
Delete junk files
Consider how to clean the phone from unnecessary files that remain from old applications. To do this, you are highly likely to need an advanced file manager. We recommend using ES Explorer - an excellent file manager with an abundance of additional functions, including space cleaning.
- Launch Google Play and find “ES Explorer” in it, setting the name in the search.
- Install it in a regular way and run.
- Press the “Clear” button in the main window and wait while the program scans the memory of your smartphone
- Check the boxes next to the categories of garbage that you want to delete: for example, Recycle Bin, Residual Garbage, Outdated APKs and so on.
- Click "Clear."
If the result seems insufficient to you, you can delete large files that take up maximum space:
- Pull the menu from the left edge of the screen and go to “Local storage”, then - to “Device”
- Check the folders in which, in your opinion, there may be large junk files. These can be catalogs with video, music (especially if you listen to lossless formats), images, magazines and books.
- Hold your finger on the file you want to delete so that the context menu appears.
- In the context menu, select "Delete"
- Repeat for all extermination candidates. If necessary, you can select entire folders or groups of files.
Not only ES Explorer “knows” how to clean the phone from debris. But he seems to us to be the best choice, as a combination of a cleaning utility and a quality file manager.
Where do the junk files come from
Before you start cleaning your phone, it’s worth explaining the nature of the appearance of unnecessary files.
In the process, applications create temporary files - cache. At the next start, to load some data, the program accesses the cache. If there is no data, information is downloaded from the network. For example, to exclude regular downloading of pictures from clients of social networks or messengers, pictures of contacts are saved in the cache. In the future, these files are used to speed up the launch of the application and save Internet traffic.
It turns out the cache performs useful functions, but only partially. When dozens of applications create temporary files, this adversely affects the overall performance of the device. After all, the system has to take into account the resulting additional amount of information. In addition, after uninstalling applications, the cache remains and empty folders remain on the flash drive. Such files are of no use, therefore, they only uselessly take up space and reduce the speed of the mobile device.
To remove excess garbage from the phone, you must:
- Go to the device settings section (lower the curtain and press the gear).
- Next, click on the "application". A list of installed programs will appear in a new window.
- Next, you need to open each application in turn and click on the "Clear Cache" button. It is important not to touch the “Erase data” button, because instead of deleting unnecessary files, the settings and user information will be cleared. In simple words, the application will return to its original state, as after installation.
The manual method allows you to clear the cache of one or all applications at any time, and get rid of unnecessary files that are occupied by internal memory. Does not require the presence of the Internet or the installation of third-party applications. In this case, the routine process will take some time.
To clear the residual files of remote programs, you should use the file manager. Go to the internal drive section, find and clear the folder of the previously deleted application.
Automatic phone cleaning
In this case, free programs help clean up internal memory: Clean Master, CCleaner, SD Maid, etc. The listed software works on any devices and any version of the Android OS, and you can download programs from the link or google play. The visual component and the principle of operation are the same, the differences are only in additional features.
- Launch the application and select the item: “garbage cleaning” or “cache cleaning”.
- After scanning, note unnecessary data.
- Expect the process to clean up temporary files.
It is worth noting that among other application functions, it is available: search for duplicates, deleting call log data, SMS, empty folders and clipboard. In addition, there are tools to clear the browser history, RAM, delete unnecessary files of the internal drive and sd card. In some cases, they allow you to remove viruses, speed up work in applications, and if you have root rights, get rid of unnecessary system applications.
Automatic cleaning allows you to quickly free up RAM, get rid of the cache, extra files and unused applications. Significantly saves time and user effort. Eliminates the need to search for residual files after uninstalling applications. At the same time, cleaning programs are crammed with ads and offer to download unnecessary third-party software for free.
Periodically cleaning your phone of residual files, cache and unnecessary processes will benefit your smartphone or tablet. It is necessary to clean the android phone from debris for better performance and free up additional space on the internal drive. Use the manual cleaning method if you want to delete the cache of a specific application. If there are many programs, use one of the utilities to automatically delete the cache.
Was the article helpful to you?
Give a rating - support the project!
(4 ratings, average: 3,75 out of 5)